Gingerbread Roll Cake
Beat the January blues with this delicious gingerbread roll cake. Here’s how to make it:
- Line a 15 x 10 Swiss roll tin with baking paper. Grease and flour the tin (and the paper) and set aside.
- Heat the oven to gas mark 5/170˚/375 F.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed until thickened, for about 3 minutes. Add the molasses, honey and melted butter and mix well.
- In a clean grease free bowl, with a clean whisk, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and continue whisking until firm peaks form.
- Carefully fold into the egg yolks mixture.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and spices above the egg mixture, slowly folding in making sure you don’t lose all the air that was incorporated with the egg whites.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 11 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- Cool in the pan for about 3 minutes.
- In the meantime heavily sprinkle icing sugar on a damp tea towel.
- Carefully place the cake to rest on the prepared tea towel. Remove the pan and gently peel the parchment paper.
- Roll up the cake, starting with the short side. Some find it easier to roll it with the towel although some advise to peel the towel as you roll. Either way it’s fine.
- Cool completely.
- In the meantime make the filling.
- In a clean grease free mixing bowl combine the heavy cream, sugar and cinnamon and start whisking, on low speed first, slowly increasing to medium speed and whisk until firm peaks form.
- Unmould the cake, gently peeling the towel and spread 2/3 of the filling over the cake. Roll it again (this time without the towel). Spread the remaining filling on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the crumbled Billington’s Gingerbread on top.
- Let sit for a couple of hours before serving.
- Slice and enjoy!
To buy Billington’s Gingerbread online, please click here.
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 50g molasses
- 50g honey
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 50g sugar
- 120g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- 360ml heavy cream
- 40g icing sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50g of crumbed Billington’s Gingerbread