Gingerbread Molasses Chocolate Chip Bars
Treat yourself with these indulgent Gingerbread Molasses Chocolate Chip Bars. Here’s how to make it:
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/175˚/350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking tray with foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Leave to cool slightly before adding the egg so you don’t scramble it. Add the egg, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, optional salt, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined, don’t over mix.
- Stir in half of the chocolate chips.
- Place the batter into the prepared baking tray, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top, pressing them down very lightly with a spatula.
- Bake for about 32 to 34 minutes, or until done. If you prefer them very moist, soft, and fudge-like, bake them for 32 minutes (shown in photos). If you prefer more well-done, dryer bars, bake for a few minutes longer; noting baking times may vary widely with this recipe based on personal preferences. A toothpick inserted in the centre should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter; however, it will be hard to find a clean patch to test because you’ll likely hit chocolate.
- When the bars come out of the oven sprinkle the Billington’s Gingerbread over the top and lightly press the crumbs down.
- Allow bars to cool in the tray for at least 30 to 60 minutes before slicing and serving. Leaving the bars to rest overnight allows the flavours to marry and the chocolate fully sets, at which point they’re fudge-like. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To buy Billington’s Gingerbread online, please click here.
- 113g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 220g light brown sugar, packed
- 170g unsulphered light or medium molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch salt, optional to taste
- 160g cups all-purpose flour
- 190g semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 100g Billington’s Gingerbread crushed