Gingerbread Simnel Cake
80z/250g softened butter
250g dark muscovado sugar
Half of a 225g tin black treacle
375g/12oz plan flour
5 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 packet of Billington’s Gingerbread
Hints and Tips
Make a few days before you actually want to serve the cake so it becomes stickier and the ginger flavour develops.
For the Gingerbread
- Blitz biscuits in high powered blender until it becomes a fine crumb
- Grease the tin and line with baking paper.
- Gently heat the butter, sugar and treacle together in a pan, stirring until smooth. Allow to cool a little.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour and ground spices. Pour in the treacle mix and stir thoroughly to combine. Mince the stem ginger finely and stir with the eggs into the mix.
- Warm the milk gently in a saucepan, stirring gently to avoid it burning at the base of the pan. Add the bicarb of soda and let it foam a little. Stir into the gingerbread mixture until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared tins. Baking time for 2×7 inch cakes is 25-30mins (bake both together). For 1 x 10 inch cake bake for approx 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with Billington’s Gingerbread.
- This cake keeps really well in an airtight tin, and actually improves over the first 2-3 days. Enjoy.
To buy Billington’s Gingerbread online, please click here.