- 125g golden syrup
- 100g plain flour
- 60g butter
- 25g self raising flour
- 1teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- half a teaspoon mixed spice
- 100g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 125ml whole milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pack of Billington’s Gingerbread
Old Fashioned Ginger Cake with Billington’s Gingerbread crumb
- Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin. Pre-heat oven to 170c/gas mark
- Put the butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat.
- Sift both flours, the soda and all the spices into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and salt , give it a good stir, then add the egg and milk mixing until smooth. Gradually add the melted butter/syrup mix, stirring until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55mins (fan oven approx 40-45mins) until risen and firm to the touch.
- Brush the top of the cake with golden syrup and scatter the Billington’s Gingerbread crumb on top (as many fingers as you like).
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
To buy Billington’s Gingerbread online, please click here.