Overnight Gingerbread French Toast
Spice up your breakfast time with this Overnight Gingerbread French Toast recipe. Here’s how to make it:
- Grease a 9 × 12 inch deep baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in two rows, overlapping each other.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, black pepper and salt.
- Pour mixture evenly over the bread, gently pressing the slices down to soak up the liquid. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to Gas Mark 4/175˚/350°F. Sprinkle with pecans, cranberries and Billington’s Gingerbread for extra texture and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. If bread begins to brown too quickly, cover the top with foil and continue baking.
- Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup.
To buy Billington’s Gingerbread online, please click here.
- 1 loaf bread of your choice, cut into thick slices
- 8 large eggs, whisked
- 240ml whole milk
- 110g dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch fine salt
- 60g pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
- 60g cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 60g Billington’s Gingerbread crumbled
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup