Billington’s Gingerbread cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.
2. Cream the together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Sift the flour together with the spices.
3. Gradually mix the eggs into the creamed butter and sugar alternating with the flour to stop the mix from curdling. Finally, stir through the milk.
4. Place 12 paper cupcake cases into a muffin tin and divide the mixture between them.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
For the topping:
6. While the cupcakes are baking place 50 grams of the butter in a pan with the brown sugar and cook over a low heat until melted. Add two tablespoons of milk and stir to form a thick glossy toffee sauce. Leave to one side to cool to room temperature.
7. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter until smooth, then start to sift in the icing sugar, stirring regularly. Add the toffee sauce and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Add a splash more of milk if the mixture seems too thick – the topping should be light and creamy.
8. Put the topping in a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
9. Crumb half a packet of Billington’s Gingerbread.
10. Sprinkle the cupcakes with Billington’s Gingerbread crumbs and ground cinnamon before serving.